Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Graves Disease

So, about two years ago, I was diagnosed with Graves Disease. Basically a form of hyperthyroidism (my thyroid was working too hard). My eyes were buggy (more than usual), I was really shaky, emotional, and tired. It was fun. I was on meds for a while, then my levels started to balance out. So, for about the past year, I haven't had to be on any form of medication. I just got my bloodwork done last week and got a call from my doctor yesterday. Turns out my thyroid is still having an identity crisis and has effectively burned itself out. My thyroid is now lazy and not producing enough. This is good and bad. Good - now I don't have to get any nuclear treatments or surgery and Bad - I will pretty much be on meds forever. Just an update, nothing to worry about.

8 comments:

kelly said...

Crap.

Anonymous said...

What kind of meds? Stupid thyroid. Just when you think you can count on them. I almost fired mine the other day, but it begged and pleaded. One more chance I said now get to work on the chocolate ice cream. Yep I keep it on a pretty tight leash.

Miranda said...

A generic form of synthroid. Basically a thyroid replacement. Ice cream sounds good right now!

Duck Hunter said...

Your thyroid sounds crazy. Glad you are ok.

Anonymous said...

so the meds will replace what your thyroid is supposed to do?

Miranda said...

Exactly.

kelly said...

In my will, I'm leaving my thyroid to you. What's your blood type?

Miranda said...

I'm not sure. O positive, maybe.